Thursday, September 6, 2012

Evaluating Websites

1.       Yes, because the CIA is a trustworthy organization. Many professional people work for the CIA and they would most likely not post false information on their own website. I would use this as a primary source for a research paper.
2.       Yes, because PBS is an educational program. The goal of their website is to give knowledge and information to others so they wouldn’t post anything that is false. I would probably use this on a research paper.
3.       No, because there is not enough information about the sources and the author. When I went on this website, there was no information besides the author’s name. Also, they ‘author’ never posted where they got any of the information from. This would not be a reliable source for a research paper.
4.       Yes, because NASA is a well-known organization and very trustworthy. NASA is very well known across the globe so they would never write something that isn’t true. I would defiantly use it as a primary source.
5.       Yes, because CNN is a news source and many people use it as place to learn more about current events. I used CNN at my old school for research on many topics. They are very reliable and keep up to date on current event. I would use it as a primary source.
6.       Yes, because New York Times is a reliable news source. New York Times is a new paper as well as a website and they are very trustworthy when it comes to giving out correct information. I would use this as a source.
7.       No, because Fox News is not always reliable with some news stories. I’ve heard from many people that Fox News sometimes twists their news stories to make them more entertaining and boost their ratings. I would probably not use them as a source
8.       Sort of, because Wikipedia can sometimes be a reliable source but not always. Some of the pages on Wikipedia are protected and people cannot make edits on them. But on others, anyone could write anything on it. So, if the thing I am looking up is well-known, like Barack Obama, I would use it as a way to learn more about the person but not as a source for a research paper.
9.       No, because we don’t know if Mr. Schick is correct on all of his information and there are no editors besides him. Anyone could make a website just like Mr. Schick but you don’t know if it’s reliable or not. Since Mr. Schick is my teacher, I can trust him but not the websites on blogger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment