Monday, September 3, 2012

Essays


                Arête, to me, means to show excellence in anything or any kind. It can also mean to show your highest potential or doing the best you can. Knowledge or wisdom could also be used as words similar to arête. The ancient Greeks demonstrated arête by creating their own government that no one has ever used before. They also created cities out of nothing and made outstanding governments within them. Also, the ancient Greeks discovered things about astronomy and agriculture. They accomplished many obstacles in human history, and that is how they demonstrate arête.
                Elbert Hubbard and Socrates were both really intelligent people. They saw life threw a pair of rose colored glasses and understood things that a normal person would ever think of. I think if they both traveled to modern day America, they would be surprised on how much things are developed. They would probably be shocked on how the government grew. They would probably be disappointed on how people don’t think for themselves and just use technology to think for them. I think they would both agree that the world changed dramatically in both good and bad ways. For example, I think they would both be satisfied that their names are remembered and teachers talk about their life and methods of learning.  But they probably wouldn’t like that our world is now all computer based and not a lot of people use logic in their everyday lives. We tend to depend on our phones and internet to give us answers or the latest news on something, which is not really a trustful source. But in Elbert Hubbard and Socrate’s life, they had to actually think about a situation and find a truthful source for an answer.
                During the next four years at John Carroll, I want to achieve the best grades I possibly can while also maintain a healthy social life with my friends. To accomplish this goal, I would have to study really hard for any graded assessments and put forth my best effort on everything I do. I would have to still take breaks and have to make sure the friendships and relationships in my life are healthy. Also, I would have to finish all my homework and never slack off or procrastinate which is going to be pretty challenging, but it is possible. School is the highest priority so sometimes I will have to stop socializing and focus everything on my work. I will have to be prepared for class and focus on the teacher and what he or she is saying. This plan is going to be difficult to maintain sometimes but I know I can if I put worth my greatest effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment